Sunday, August 9, 2009

Wilderness 101

This year was to be my second attempt at the Wilderness 101, in Coburn, PA. Two years ago, I attempted this race as my first 100 mile race, and it was no fun at all. I think that I just made myself sick by being overly nervous, and ended up with a finishing time somewhere around 12 and a half hours. Ouch. This time, I wanted to get around 10 hours. Still on my single speed, and a lot stronger this year, I didn't think that it would be too much of a problem.

Got there late Friday afternoon, set up camp, and went out for a little spin with Jake, Brad, and Steevo. Just about a 40 min out and back on the rail trail to get the blood flowing a bit. Touhed a little of the last section of single track, Which was pretty slick, and turned back pretty quickly. Spun my ass off keeping up with the guys that have gears, and had a little scare when I almost hit a vw head on while riding on the wrong side of the dirt road. Got back to camp for dinner and a few beers, and off to bed at about midnight. Ugh.

Of course, I couldn't sleep. Woke at about 3:00, and that was it, I was up. Oh well, sleep is overrated anyways.

Lined up, and ended up getting a pretty good starting position, due to a last second bathroom stop. Thankfully we had a nice, controlled neutral start with a pretty decent pace. Even at the first turn, nobody really wanted to take off right away. Some people apparrently thought that we were still in a neutral rollout during the first climb. It started spreading out by about halfway up, when Brad passed me, giving me a tap on the shoulder on his way, looking like he was in the zone.

The first 40 miles or so is pretty much fireroad and double track, and goes by pretty fast. I was able to hang on to a couple of pacelines off and on, to help me pick up a little extra speed, and it definately helped me conserve some energy. Jake passed me a couple of miles before station 1, riding with a little group that was flying. See ya later dude...

Skipped station 1, and passed a good dozen people or more that were trying to suck down some water going up the first climb. I just kept hammering along up the climb, until there was nobody behind me. Once again, it looks like I'm riding by myself today.

From here until station 3 is pretty much a blur. Tried riding the climb out of 3, and ran into a little traffic. Got past them, and it got a little steeper than it was worth. Pushed off and on for a bit, until there was finally I couldn't go up anymore.

Pull into station 4, and it looked like they weren't even set up yet. Oh well, top off the water, couple fig newtons, and up the last really bad climb. Walked about the first half, just to take a breather, as I had been going pretty hard for most of the race. Got onto the second part, and a guy was riding up the climb with his kid in a trailer. Well, if he is riding it, I had better ride too. Back on the bike, up, up, up, ok, now we're there. This part of the trail is superfast, mostly flat and downhill, and a ton of fun from what I remember. For the most part it was. Then, wait a minute, where did that fence come from???? And steep little hike a bikes??? Wow, that sucks. Ok, back to the fun stuff. Roll into station 5, handfull of pringles, water is enough for the last 12 miles, we're off.

Ride through the park daydreaming a little, getting hungry for real food, cruising down the little hill, and onto the rail trail. Wait, is this right?? Isn't there supposed to be a tunnel here. Dead end at the river. Crap, missed a turn somehow. Turn around, ride the half mile or so back, and there is a jeep parked in front of the turn arrow. Great. Ok, looks better now. Pass a Mennonite family with 3 women on bikes, and a trailer full of kids being pulled by a pony. They kept yelling at it to move over. It was pretty funny. Out the trail, up the last climb, bomb down the hill, into the last singletrack section. Suddenly, I can't ride my bike, but still pass 2 guys that can ride their bikes even less than me. Crap, they have gears. They'll probably catch me on the rail trail. They didn't, but they did catch me on the road about 1/4 mile from the finish. Ended up with a 9:17, which I am really thrilled with. Good enough for 16th place single speed. I'm getting there. Maybe I'll have to start training.

No comments:

Post a Comment